Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ellen's Stardust Diner

I found a diner with singer waiters and waitresses. Yes, they actually exist. Ellen's Stardust Diner is located at Broadway and W 51st St. Whenever I pass a restaurant, I tend to stop and read the menu. I was drawn into this diner by the breakfast offerings. Then when I got inside, they told me they don't serve breakfast all day. What kind of diner doesn't serve breakfast all day? Isn't that the main reason people go to diners? I know it isn't just me.
It looks normal enough from the outside.
The interior of the restaurant is full of flashing lights that wreaked havoc with my picture quality. I know I don't take good pictures, mainly because I'm too lazy, but these are worse than usual.
I was already seated when I found out I couldn't have breakfast, so I decided to just try something else. I read the entire menu a few times because I'm that indecisive. Eventually I decided on the "Carl Perkins Pork 'n Beans". The menu says "12 hour slow-cooked braised pork with white bean cassoulet, chorizo and corn bread."
I really like the presentation. Beans and chorizo in the middle with corn bread and pork triangles on the outside. At first, I thought the pork triangles were just fat, but then I decided to try and eat one. I'm glad I did because it was fantastic. I cut the fat part off, though. Yeah, I'm that person. I do the same thing with pork chops and steak and I soak up the grease from my pizza with napkins before I eat it.
The corn bread could have been a little sweeter, but that's just a personal preference. I'm definitely more used to canned pork and beans, and it was interesting trying something fresher and of better quality. I could definitely get used to it.
I also had an egg cream. If you don't know, that's milk with seltzer water, and it also comes in chocolate. At this diner, they make it at your table. Apparently that's how it's traditionally done. I think that's a little bit much. I'd rather have it brought to me already mixed so I can just drink it and not have it overflowing the cup and on the table.
The singers kept walking on this narrow platform that was right behind me. It was a little weird looking up and having someone right there or just feeling them behind me. The wait staff is composed of aspiring musical theater stars, a bunch of Rachel Berrys and Kurt Hummels, I guess. They send around a container for donations, and they're required to use the money to take a lesson in acting, dancing or singing. I guess they're really serious about making it. If you want to be in a musical, it's probably better to have your resume say "singing waiter" than just "waiter," and most of them are really good. Way too many Disney songs, though, and it was very, very loud. Even so, I wouldn't mind going back with a friend some time. I know some people who would really enjoy the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment