Monday, August 22, 2011

You Put Grease In Your Hair? Like, Bacon Grease?

Yesterday, I started to notice some itchiness throughout my scalp. I can't even remember the last time I greased my scalp, so it's definitely time to do it again. Whenever I say "hair grease" in front of people who aren't black, I get blank stares. These are people who say "if I don't wash my hair every day, it gets all greasy." Yeah, right. I'll show you greasy.
When I was in college (all girls college), we always had clogged drains. The residence life staff recommended we all comb our hair before the shower to get rid of any loose strands and decrease the amount of hair in the drains. Well, I still do it. 
Yeah, it's poofy. I don't go outside like this.

I've got my mom's Pantene shampoo and conditioner, my Super Gro hair grease, my Motions hair lotion, and a rat-tail comb and pick. 
After washing, I use the tail end of the comb to part the hair into 4 or 6 sections. I did 4 sections this time. Then I apply grease to all of the parts and the edges.
In each section, I make parts about 0.5 to 1 inch apart and grease them. 
I also apply a small amount of grease to my palms and rub it into the ends of each section, making sure to get the ends of the shorter layers.
Then I massage a small amount of the hair lotion through each section of hair. I know it doesn't look like that much, but it was plenty. After moisturizing, I use the pick to get rid of any tangles. In the past, I always used a wide-tooth comb, but my mom recently suggested using a pick. I thought it was a terrible idea because the teeth are so close together and picks make me think of the guys in baggy jeans and hoodies who walk around with a pick sticking out of their nappy fro, but I tried it anyway. It turns out I lose less hair with a pick. Of course I realize hair that breaks off could be unhealthy, but the detangling implement could also be to blame. It's always good to find what works best for your hair.

I don't expect the grease to make my hair grow like it says on the jar. I just use it because it smells great and it isn't thick or heavy. When applied to my scalp, my body heat softens the grease so it's more like oil. I can massage my scalp and spread the grease to any places I may have missed. This is also good for my headaches.

I'm not one of those sulfate-free shampoo people. It's so irritating when people with straight, fine hair say "you should use shampoo without sulfate or you should just stop using shampoo." My response: maybe YOU should do that, but my hair isn't like yours. Yeah, I get irritated when people act like the stuff that works for them works for everyone. I'm not telling anyone to grease their hair; I'm just showing how I do it because people ask. Yes, sulfate strips oil from your hair. That's how it cleans your hair. When I grease my scalp, I like to start with a clean, fresh scalp and hair. It's just a strange personal preference, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment